Friday 10 December 2021
Are you someone who is simply an ALMOST CHRISTIAN?
Then Agrippa said to Paul, “Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?”. Paul replied, “Short time or long – I pray to God that not only you but all who are listening to me today may become what I am, except for these chains.”
Reflection: What does it mean to be an Almost Christian?
1. Almost Christian is someone who is honest. Someone who has a worldly honesty. They practice a sense of fairness. He/She does not oppress the poor nor rob or steal from others.
2. Almost Christian is someone who is truthful and charitable. By worldly standard, someone who is does not lie and show love for others.
3. Almost Christian is someone who is outwardly religious. He has an outward appearance of the sort of godliness which is described in the gospel. He is not a hypocrite but someone who genuinely does not do anything that the gospel forbids such as using vulgar language, keeping Sunday as a day of rest, keeping clear of all sexual immorality, avoiding gossip, etc.
4. Almost Christian is someone who go to church or pray often.
5. Almost Christian is someone who is sincere and strive to do God’s will for His sake.
In summary, being an almost Christian means that you must decide to please God in every way, deed and word, in things done and things not done. The aim of pleasing God must be the guiding principle if anyone is to aspire to become an ALMOST CHRISTIAN. By now you will ask, “How can you get this far and yet be only an Almost Christian? What more is needed to be an Altogether Christian?” John Wesley’s answer is derived from his own personal experience and the bible.
You may have all the above and it might be the case that you are still an Almost Christian. More is needed to be an Altogether Christian. May God shines his light on your heart to move you from an Almost Christian to an Altogether Christian.